Education Committee Makes Changes to Education Funding in Governor’s Proposed Budget
The Education Committee approved a substitute for H.B. 6357 (“An Act Implementing the Budget Recommendations of the Governor Concerning Education”) on March 28, 2013. The bill makes changes to a number of provisions in the original proposal. The following are some key changes.
- Modifies the proposed ECS formula
- Changes the weighting in the wealth calculation to weigh property wealth more heavily than income wealth
- Reduces the proposed foundation amount from $11,754 to $11,525
- Shifts some funding to the 10 lowest-performing districts
- Eliminates the PILOT: State-Owned Property grant from the ECS account. This would be the first step in restoring the PILOT program to its current state.
- Restores the public school transportation grant
Attached are updated town-by-town estimates of the ECS grant based on the Education Committee bill. The bill has been referred to the Appropriations Committee, which has a deadline of April 23.